Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Puff Pastry Roll Up

I am always looking for party food that I can make ahead. I am vowing to myself to have an awesome time at my upcoming Halloween bash, so I am planning early...this is very necessary!!! Oh, if you haven't heard, Pikelween is on...so my blog will be full of my food prep, decor and set stylings...I really do a lot for this party, and because I want to retire it after this year, I wanna do it right....anyway, I digress...

I found this recipe over at CREATE MY EVENT and it sounds like a simple enough appetizer. You could pretty much substitue the fillings with whatever you like. My favorite part is that you can make it a few days ahead, and on party day, pull it out of the fridge, slice, heat and serve. Nothing better than that!



Twisted Tapas by CREATE MY EVENT
Ingredients:
3/4 cup finely grated manchego cheese (about 3 ounces)
1 tsp. spanish smoked paprika (optional)
2 tsp. quince paste (spanish membrillo)
1 puff pastry sheet (from one 17 1/4-ounce package frozen puff pastry
sheets), thawed
1 large egg, beaten lightly
2 ounces thinly sliced serrano ham

To Make:
In a bowl combine manchego and paprika.

On a lightly floured surface arrange pastry sheet with a short side facing you and cut in half crosswise. Arrange one half of sheet with the long side facing you and brush edge of far side with some of the beaten egg. Place half of serrano ham evenly on top of pastry, avoiding egg-brushed edge, and top with half of the manchego mixture.

Starting with side nearest you, roll pastry jelly-roll fashion into a log and wrap in wax paper. Make second log the same way. Chill pastry logs, seam sides down, until firm, at least 3 hours, and up to 3 days.

When ready to serve, pre-heat oven to 400°F. and lightly grease 2 large baking sheets. Cut logs crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick slices and arrange, cut sides down, 1 inch apart on baking sheets. Bake in batches in middle of oven until golden, 14 to 16 minutes. Transfer to a rack and cool slightly. Serve warm.

Yield:
About 30 - 40 pieces

No comments: