Found this yummy recipe on Colin Cowie's website. He is pretty fab.
Apple Tarte Tatin with Vanilla Ice Cream
Yield: 8 Servings
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter softened (1 stick)
3 pounds small Pippin apples, halved, cored, and peeled
Shortcrust Pastry or Puff Pastry
Vanilla ice cream or frozen yogurt
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
2. Grease a 9-inch oven proof skillet . Sprinkle 1/3 cup of the sugar over bottom. Pack the apples tightly in the pan in an upright fashion. Sprinkle with the remaining sugar. Cut the butter into small pieces and add to the apples.
3. Place the pan over medium heat and cook until the bottom is lightly caramelized, about 20 minutes. Transfer to the oven and bake 10 minutes longer. Remove from oven.
4. Meanwhile, on a lightly floured board, roll out the Puff Pastry to form a 10-inch circle. Top the apples with the pastry, so the edges overhang and the dough settles onto the apples. Trim any excess pastry by pressing the edges with the rolling pin.
5. Return the pan to the oven and bake until the pastry is well-browned, about 20 minutes.
6. To serve, invert the tart onto a serving plate and spoon on the caramel from the pan. Let cool 5 minutes and serve with vanilla ice cream or yogurt.
Note: Tarte Tatin may be made entirely in advance. Refrigerate the finished tart and reheat covered with foil in a 350 degree oven about 15 minutes.
pistachio cake - Now that I’ve gotten a few bigger projects out of the way — hooray! And more soon on all of that, eee — I have a little more time again to do the things ...