Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Little Beasties

I can't figure out what to call these little guys...but I love them!
Halloween Prep 2008
This is a Martha craft and I knew when I saw them last year, I wanted to try to make them.

I ordered the heads from Dian Dolls. They are actually bisque heads...like terra cotta pots. I thought they would be plastic...so it was a nice surprise. When ordering Dian asked me if these were for the Martha Stewart project...I guess a lot of people have ordered these!

They arrived a few days after I ordered them.
Halloween Prep 2008

Halloween Prep 2008

Instead of using a candelabra, I bought these wooden candlesticks at Michael's for about 3 bucks each.
Halloween Prep 2008

These were really simple to make. Just paint them a kind of grey color,
Halloween Prep 2008
Halloween Prep 2008
Halloween Prep 2008

Then you darken the eyes and cheeks with a bit of black paint. The instructions say to use black eye shadow...but I didn't have any of that...so I just used black paint mixed with a little white to make it a grey color.
Halloween Prep 2008
I also painted those candlesticks black. Looks cool huh? The best part is putting a light inside their heads. I didn't glue the heads to the sticks, but instead used old wine corks...they fit snugly into the opening of the doll head, they are not permanent, and the bottom end fits nicely into the candlestick. I did this so that I could attach and remove the heads to drop in the light source...which is a little led light that is made for balloons...I found them at Michaels 2 for $3 bucks. They are really bright:
Halloween Prep 2008

The last step is to create a collar for them. I used some black sheer fabric I had lying around, and I even put on some black glitter for a bit of sparkle...I am glittering everyhing these days!

I put in orange glowsticks...It is hard to capture that light in a photo...
Halloween Prep 2008
Halloween Prep 2008

Halloween Prep 2008
I think they will make a great addition to my Halloween decor!

1 comment:

Natalia said...

that's so cool. I hadn't seen this at Martha Stewart yet. great job!